Friday, March 22, 2013

A holy mission

The mom's bible study group I am in at church right now has been reading through Shepherding a Child's Heart  by Tedd Tripp. This is not the first time I have read this book. I remember reading it in college for one of my education classes and thought it was a good book, but not having kids then, I didn't have a way to apply what I was learning. So reading it this time around has been so helpful and I have been able to use what I am learning. This week has been a little more challenging with my precious/strong willed firstborn. Maybe it was because Ray was out of town for a few days, maybe because his routine was a little off, maybe just because he is a sinner...who knows, but anyway I have found myself diving deep into this book this week and what scripture says on how to discipline our children because I have desperately needed it. 
Just a few things I have learned that might help you too if you are in the midst of these parenting years. 
1. Discipline----a holy mission that God has me on. Wow, never thought it to be very holy, maybe because my attitude isn't always right when I am doing the disciplining. Do I ever react with unholy anger? Guilty here. 
2. God's agent--Ray and I are God's agents for Finley and Cohen. We didn't write our own job description for how we are to parent. God has defined the task, given the job description, and we are just to act on His behalf.  Genesis 18:19 "I have chosen him ( Abraham) , so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just."
3. Restoration---My goal as a parent should be to bring restoration to my child's life. Restoration with God because they have not sinned against me when they have done something wrong, but against a holy God. So when our kids step out of the circle of blessing and long life, it is our job as their parents to help restore them back into that circle. Proverbs 19:18 " The discipline of a child is a parent refusing to be a willing party to his child's death."
4. Goals---parents have all kinds of goals for their kids and therefore they put them in different situations in hope that those goals are achieved. I am praying right now about the short term and long term goals I want for my boys. I know that at the top though we will begin with this....
I want Finley and Cohen to GLORIFY GOD and ENJOY HIM FOREVER.








I am only on chapter 6 so I  know I will have a lot more to learn. So for now I will continue to be consistent, I won't give up or back down, and I will remember that I have been called to a HOLY MISSION. 
I highly recommend this book for parents of any age children and I invite you too to come to our bible study of moms. I would be glad to give you more information if you are interested!


No comments:

Post a Comment